South Island: Cuisines, Nature & Cultures
February 16-28, 2017* (fully booked) 2018: 8-19 March + 25 October - 5 November (12 days/11 nights)
With only 4.5 million people Aotearoa or The Land of the Long White Cloud as the indigenous Māori call New Zealand, is a multicultural society boasting a unique blend of European, Polynesian and Pan-Asian influences in its food, wine and culture.
Fresh, innovative and delicious, New Zealand's flavoursome food and world class wines are essential ingredients for any New Zealand experience - whether fine dining, casual outdoor meals, tastings at cellar doors or mingling with local producers at farmers markets. For many, New Zealand’s wines are their primary motivation to visit, particularly the famed Marlborough and Central Otago regions producers of some of the world’s finest Pinot Noir and Sauvignon Blanc. Pair these regions with the breath-taking scenery of the South Island to discover a rare and quite unique South Pacific gastronomic jewel.
Delicious Highlights include
- Exclusive tours & tasting at leading Central Otago and Marlborough winemakers, including Cloudy Bay, Hans Herzog, Wither Hills, Peregrine, Chard Farm, Qartz Reef and Carrick Wines
- Winemaker turned chef hosts a private dinner featuring Wild Earth’s Oak Stave Platter with matched wines
- Visit to the vibrant Otago Farmer’s Market
- Popup gourmet dinner experience in at a secret venue hosted by the Food Design Institute, Dunedin
- Gourmet day sail and luncheon aboard 65' yacht on Tasman Bay, Marlborough
- Exploring Blenheim, Nelson, Dunedin, Queenstown, Moeraki and the pristine UNESCO World Heritage wilderness beauty of the remote West Coast
Optional Sightseeing Highlights:
- In Dunedin there will be an opportunity to visit the Royal Albatross Center, Olveston House or to enjoy high tea at Larnach Castle
- In Queenstown seize the opportunity for a full day trip to Milford Sound, a cruise across Lake Wakatipu aboard the legendary TSS Earnslaw, a round of golf at either Jack's Point or the home of the NZ Open, The Hills Golf Club.
- Twelve day Premium tour by deluxe coach
- Breakfast daily
- 4 lunches and 5 dinners
- One night at Peppers Clearwater Resort, Christchurch
- Two nights at the Hotel Distinction, Dunedin
- Three nights at St Moritz Hotel, Queenstown
- Two nights at Te Waonui Rainforest Retreat, Franz Josef Glacier
- Three nights at the Rutherford Hotel, Nelson
This evening meet fellow travellers at a welcome cocktail reception and dinner.
Commences travelling through the spectacular scenery of the Canterbury plains to the city of Oamaru dubbed New Zealand's ‘coolest’ town by Lonely Planet, with stops at artisan food producers. Lunch at the world famous FLEUR’S PLACE, a Chaîne des Rôtisseurs member.
Morning visit to Otago Farmer’s Market followed by free time for optional visits to the Royal Albatross Centre, Olveston House or the gardens and High-tea at Larnach Castle. Tonight a “Popup” Gourmet Dinner highlight hosted by The Food Design Institute at a secret venue.
Morning departure to Queenstown travelling though some of the Sth. Islands most majestic scenery. Try lunch at a craft brewery in historic Clyde. With several tasty + interesting stops along the way, arrive Queenstown late afternoon.
Full day at leisure to enjoy optional sightseeing excursions to Milford Sound, a leisurely cruise across Lake Wakatipu, a round of golf or perhaps fly-fishing may tickle your fancy.
Full day exploring the home of classic Central Otago Pinot Noir. Tastings may include Waitiri Creek, Peregrine, Chard Farm and Carrick Winemakers, before a TOUR HIGHLIGHT long table dinner event in a unique outdoor location.
An early start climbing the Crown Range, then through lush ancient rainforests, before stopping for lunch at a famous seafood caravan. Next we experience the extraordinary “ocean-to-alps” river safari along the remote Waiatoto River.
Optional morning helicopter flight-seeing tour over Mount Cook + Glaciers and a day at leisure. A special Five Course Degustation dinner tonight.
Departure for Nelson, with scenic stops along the way. This evening a teppanyaki at the hotel restaurant.
Gourmet sailing cruise + private chef luncheon on Tasman Bay. Visit to an organic vineyard in the late afternoon.
A full day spent in the fabulous Marlborough winemaking region including visits to; Cloudy Bay, Wither Hills, lunch at the famous Hans Herzog bistro followed by a sparkling sampler at the underground cellar of a traditional methode maker. A very special farewell dinner tonight.
Private group transfer to the airport to connect with homeward or onward travel arrangements.
Christchurch - stay in the city’s luxe Peppers Clearwater Resort. Further south, stay at the premium Hotel Distinction in the recently refurbished Heritage listed former Dunedin Chief Post Office. Queenstown is world renowned for its magnificent alpine scenery and nowhere offers more superb vistas than the St. Moritz Hotel, with magnificent views of The Remarkables. On the West Coast, Te Waonui Forest Retreat, recipient of a Condé Nast Readers Choice Award, is your pristine wilderness haven. In sunny Nelson, enjoy the charming luxury of The Rutherford Hotel.
This itinerary is easily customised to suit your special interests and may be easily extended to continue exploring the fabulous food and wine of the North Island including Hawkes Bay and the bubbling, geo-thermal hub of Rotorua. Our focus is on both small-group and independent travellers allowing significant flexibility, particularly in sourcing alternative types of accommodation including; hotels, luxury lodges or villas, apartments etc. Please refer to our Booking Terms and Conditions for these details and should you have any further enquiries or wish to discuss possiblilites in greater detail EMAIL US
“Even for the well-travelled, New Zealand offers a uniquely refreshing and thoroughly memorable experience.“
– Tourism New Zealand