A SENSE OF PLACE, PEOPLE and CUISINE
South Island | 12 day/11 night
Ideal seasonality mid- October (late Spring) through to late March (Fall)
With only 4.5m people Aotearoa (The Land of the Long White Cloud) as the indigenous Māori call New Zealand, is a multicultural society boasting a unique blend of European, Polynesian and Pan-Asian influences in its food, wine and culture. Fresh, innovative and delicious, New Zealand's flavoursome food and world class wines are essential ingredients for any New Zealand experience - whether fine dining, casual outdoor meals, tastings at cellar doors or mingling with local producers at farmers markets.
For many, New Zealand’s wines are their primary motivation to visit, particularly the famed Marlborough and Central Otago regions producers of some of the world’s finest Pinot Noir, Aromatics and Sauvignon Blanc. What makes the wines so special? Simply, it's all about the Terrior; the exceptional climate, soil and people form the key ingredients making New Zealand's wines as distinctive as its exceptional scenery.
Pair these regions with the breath-taking scenery of the South Island to discover a rare South Pacific gastronomic jewel.
Our Delicious Highlights include
- Exclusive tours & tasting at leading Central Otago and Marlborough winemakers, including Cloudy Bay, Hans Herzog, Wither Hills, Peregrine, Quartz Reef, Valli and Carrick Wines
- Winemaker turned chef hosts a private dinner featuring Wild Earth’s Oak Stave Platter with matched wines
- Visit to the vibrant Otago Farmer’s Market
- Lunches at both Fleurs Place, Moeraki + The Craypot caravan, Jackson Bay
- Popup gourmet dinner experience at a secret venue hosted by the Food Design Institute, Dunedin
- Gourmet day sail and luncheon aboard 65' yacht on Tasman Bay, Marlborough
- Exploring Blenheim, Nelson, Dunedin, Queenstown, Moeraki and the pristine UNESCO World Heritage wilderness beauty of the remote West Coast
Optional Sightseeing Highlights:
- In Dunedin opportunity to visit the Royal Albatross Center, Olveston House or to enjoy high tea at Larnach Castle
- In Queenstown seize the opportunity for a full day trip to either Milford or Doubtful Sound; a cruise across Lake Wakatipu aboard the legendary TSS Earnslaw, a round of golf at well-regarded Jack's Point or the home of the NZ Open, The Hills Golf clubs.
- Twelve day Premium tour by deluxe coach
- Full breakfast daily + 4 lunches and 5 dinners
- One night at Peppers Clearwater Resort, Christchurch
- Two nights at the Hotel Distinction, Dunedin
- Three nights at St Moritz Hotel, Queenstown
- Two nights at Te Waonui Rainforest Retreat, Franz Josef Glacier
- Three nights at the Rutherford Hotel, Nelson
This evening meet fellow travellers at a welcome cocktail reception and dinner.
Commences travelling through the spectacular scenery of the Canterbury plains to the city of Oamaru dubbed New Zealand's ‘coolest’ town by Lonely Planet, with stops at artisan food producers. Lunch at the world famous FLEUR’S PLACE, a Chaîne des Rôtisseurs member.
Morning visit to Otago Farmer’s Market followed by free time for optional visits to the Royal Albatross Centre, Olveston House or the gardens and High-tea at Larnach Castle. Tonight a “Popup” Gourmet Dinner highlight hosted by The Food Design Institute at a secret venue.
Morning departure to Queenstown travelling though some of the Sth. Islands most majestic scenery. Try lunch at a craft brewery in historic Clyde. With several tasty + interesting stops along the way, arrive Queenstown late afternoon.
Full day at leisure to enjoy optional sightseeing excursions to Milford Sound, a leisurely cruise across Lake Wakatipu, a round of golf or perhaps fly-fishing may tickle your fancy.
Full day exploring the home of classic Central Otago Pinot Noir. Tastings may include Waitiri Creek, Peregrine, Chard Farm and Carrick Winemakers, before a TOUR HIGHLIGHT long table dinner event in a unique outdoor location.
An early start climbing the Crown Range, then through lush ancient rainforests, before stopping for lunch at a famous seafood caravan. Next we experience the extraordinary “ocean-to-alps” river safari along the remote Waiatoto River.
Optional morning helicopter flight-seeing tour over Mount Cook + Glaciers and a day at leisure. A special Five Course Degustation dinner tonight.
Departure for Nelson, with scenic stops along the way. This evening a teppanyaki at the hotel restaurant.
Gourmet sailing cruise + private chef luncheon on Tasman Bay. Visit to an organic vineyard in the late afternoon.
A full day spent in the fabulous Marlborough winemaking region including visits to; Cloudy Bay, Wither Hills, lunch at the famous Hans Herzog bistro followed by a sparkling sampler in the underground cellar of a traditional methode maker - followed by a very special farewell dinner tonight.
Private group transfer to the airport to connect with homeward or onward travel arrangements*
CUSTOMISING IS OUR MIDDLE NAME
This itinerary is easily customised to cater to your special interests and may be easily extended (and/or reversed) to either continue northward, exploring the fabulous food and wine of the North Island including Hawkes Bay and the bubbling, geo-thermal hub of Rotorua, or - continue exploring Marlborough and returning to Christchurch via the rugged Kaikoura coastline - visiting a local, traditional Māori marae for a farewell hangi.
Our focus is on both small-group and independent travellers allowing significant flexibility, particularly in sourcing alternative types of accommodation including; hotels, luxury lodges or villas, apartments etc. Please refer to our Booking Terms and Conditions for these details and should you have any further enquiries or wish to explore possiblilites in greater detail please click to EMAIL US
Christchurch - stay in the city’s luxe Peppers Clearwater Resort or The George Hotel. Further south, stay at the premium Hotel Distinction, in the recently refurbished Heritage listed former Dunedin Chief Post Office. Queenstown is world renowned for its spectacular alpine scenery and nowhere offers more superb vistas than the St. Moritz Hotel, with magnificent views across Lake Wakitipu to The Remarkables. On the West Coast, Te Waonui Forest Retreat, recipient of a Condé Nast Readers Choice Award, is your pristine wilderness haven. In sunny Nelson, enjoy the charming luxury of The Rutherford Hotel.
Hotels listed above are of a Premium grade - Luxury or Central & Comfortable properties are also available, please let us know your preference and we'll create your perfect vacation.
To request a quotation, ask a question or make a booking - please contact us via the link below